1 fully developed or matured and ready to be eaten or used; "ripe peaches"; "full-bodies mature wines" [syn: mature] [ant: green]
2 fully prepared or eager; "the colonists were ripe for revolution" [syn: ripe(p)]
3 most suitable or right for a particular purpose; "a good time to plant tomatoes"; "the right time to act"; "the time is ripe for great sociological changes" [syn: good, right]
4 at the highest point of development especially in judgment or knowledge; "a ripe mind"
5 far along in time; "a man of advanced age"; "advanced in years"; "a ripe old age"; "the ripe age of 90" [syn: advanced]
- Rhymes: -aɪp
- Ready for reaping or gathering; having attained perfection; mature; -- said of fruits, seeds, etc.; as, ripe grain.
- Advanced to the state of fitness for use; mellow; as, ripe cheese; ripe wine.
- Having attained its full development; mature; perfected; consummate.
- Maturated or suppurated; ready to discharge; -- said of sores, tumors, etc.
- Ready for action or effect; prepared.
- Like ripened fruit in ruddiness and plumpness.
- Of a conflict between parties, having developed to a stage where the conflict may be reviewed by a court of law.
- smelly: having a disagreeable odor.
- Albanian: pjekur
- Basque: umo
- Catalan: madur
- Chinese: 熟的 (shóu de)
- Croatian: zreo
- Danish: moden
- Dutch: rijp
- Estonian: küps
- Finnish: kypsä
- French: mûr
- German: reif
- Hungarian: érett
- Italian: maturo
- Japanese: 熟した (じゅくした, jukushita)
- Korean: 익은 (igeun)
- Portuguese: maduro
- Romanian: copt, maturat
- Russian: зрелый (zrélyj)
- Sardinian: cottu
- Scottish Gaelic: abaich
- Slovak: zrelý
- Slovene: zrel
- Swedish: mogen
- Turkish: olgun
- A fruit or vegetable which has ripened.
- When he realized that the ripes would not make it back to Selma, Zemurray offered a free bunch of bananas to any telegraph operator who notified local grocers that he was coming through with a shipment of bananas.
- Plural of ripa
Ripe may refer to:
Persons with the name Ripe:
- Wilhelm Ripe (1818–1885), German painter
ripe in German: Ripe
ripe in Italian: Ripe
ripe in Dutch: Ripe
accomplished, adult, age, aged, all ready, all set, appropriate, apt, archetypical, armed, armed and ready, auspicious, befitting, blase, booted and spurred, briefed, classic, coached, cocked, complete, consummate, convenient, cosmopolitan, cosmopolite, dependable, develop, developed, eager, enthusiastic, entire, equipped, exemplary, expedient, experienced, expert, familiarized, favorable, felicitous, finished, fit, fitting, fortunate, full, full-blown, full-fledged, full-grown, full-scale, fully developed, global, good and ready, groomed, grow, grow up, grown, grown-up, happy, ideal, in arms, in battle array, in full bloom, in readiness, in the saddle, informed, intact, knowing, loaded, loaded for bear, lucky, marriageable, masterful, masterly, maturate, maturated, mature, matured, meet, mellow, mellowed, mobilized, model, not born yesterday, nubile, of age, of marriageable age, old, on the mark, opportune, overdue, perfected, planned, polished, practiced, prearranged, prepared, prepared and ready, prepped, primed, proficient, proper, propitious, provided, providential, psyched up, qualified, quintessential, ready, ready for anything, refined, reliable, right, ripen, ripened, sagacious, sage, seasonable, seasoned, set, solid, sophisticated, sortable, suitable, tempered, timely, total, tried, tried and true, unabbreviated, uncut, undiminished, unexpurgated, up in arms, veteran, vigilant, virtuosic, well-prepared, well-timed, whole, wise, world-wise, worldly, worldly-wise